Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My teaching philosophy

I believe that students learn by doing, and the more assignments can be connected to real life contexts the more successful they will be as learners. Thus, I strive to create a context of engagement and participation through various activities where each student does meaningful work based on seeking applications and connections between the studied theories and life beyond the classroom. I will be utilizing a variety of learning strategies and teaching methods in this class in Interpersonal Communication to best meet the needs of a diverse body of learners in achieving the learning objectives of the course. These methods of instruction will include in-class and out-of class opportunities for learning and will culminate in discussions, presentations, and written documents. The primary learning techniques that may be focused on throughout the course include collaborative learning groups, peer-teaching sessions, case study analyses, debate-based discussions, self-reflection engagements, peer evaluations, research projects/papers/presentations, examinations, course text activities, and lectures.

In order to help you assess your knowledge and competence of the material under study in our course, I will provide you with prompt and timely feedback regarding suggestions for improving your performance in the class. I will strive to periodically post grades on Blackboard and provide written feedback to you within one-week of assignment completion.

No comments: